EnderCast Episode #1 – Launch

EnderCast Episode #1 – Launch

Crystal

December 13th, 2012

15 Comments

And we’re off! A little late since I’m apparently a terrible person when it comes to getting things out when I should, but still up and running! Kelly and I recorded our premiere episode of EnderCast, titled LAUNCH, on 12/12/12. Our topics for this episode include:

• introductions
  • the first still and general internet reaction
  • Ender’s age
  • Harrison Ford as Graff
  • listener question

Ender-Graff2

For those of you that need a handy reference while listening to the show, here’s the first official still released by Entertainment Weekly. (click it to enlarge, though you should open it in a new tab because clicking it will stop the episode from playing)

After you listen, we’d totally love it if you guys could come here and tell us what you think. Does Crystal have a dull voice and an odd Hawaiian accent? Does Kelly talk too fast? No, really, we’d love to know because it took about five full minutes of nervous giggling and deep breathing before we could start because we each had awful things to say about ourselves.

Feel free to comment about the opening and closing music as well. Is it too loud? Is it full of awesome? Let us know!

We’re always open to reader/listener questions as well, so feel free to comment here or send us a desk message.

15 Comments

1. Shanti says:

I’m proud to say that I called the ending of Ender’s Game when I was half way through the novel. To be fair I had read a lot of sci-fi before, and I was 25.
    The Chevron thing is weird in the I.F uniform. You’d think they would be more like the Navy. But I think they just did it to make it look more military. And someone pointed out the I.F symbol looks like the Greek letter Phi which can be a military/ space type of thing. I think it’s awesome they did that.
    What about Ender in Exile as a sequel? It’s a direct sequel anyway. Although it doesn’t have much action in it, from what I’ve read so far.

I was on Reddit and I came across someone thinking Asa at fifteen was still playing a six year old. In my Ender’s Game quiz app it says they changed his age to 12, and Asa still looks young so I’m not worried. I’d rather a great older actor than a little kid who can’t act. Remember those first two Harry Potter movies?

Harrison Ford is like the best choice for Graff. I imagined a different actor, mainly because I’m obsessed with Stargate and like Mike Dupod as an actor. The weight thing doesn’t bother me. I hardly noticed it.

I would have loved a film just like the book because I want to see what I read come to life. I have the graphic novel however, which did a great job. I just think we’re worried about the unknown. I know that I am. But I think it could be great. I’m not getting my hopes up though because that’s what I do so I don’t get too disappointed. Usually the opposite happens.

Anyway, good show. Your voices sound fine. The music is fine. Kind of long. And it’s now 1am. Let’s see if you’ve cured my insomnia.

• Crystal says:

Hi Shanti and thanks for the great comment and the feedback! I totally agree about Harry Potter. I love Daniel Radcliffe, but he was quite… unrefined in the first two as you mentioned.

2. justin says:

Great show, looking forward to more.

-I feel his rank is on the collar and the shoulder is just a patch based on where he’s serving.
    -As far as what sequels we’ll see… well if this is a hit tehy will make every movie they can and there is more than enough content for some great movies. If it’s just ok maybe some shadow. Otherwise this might just go the way of the most recent Hitchhikers Guide movie… But I hope not.

• Crystal says:

Thanks Justin! I stared at it more after the show and I’m pretty sure that’s the Phi on his patch. Hopefully we see a bigger version and can know for sure soon!

3. rokoschnuckel says:

Great show! Thanks.
    I agree with all of your points of critique: Crystal has a weird accent, Kelly talks too fast, and the music sucks … no seriously, I loved this podcast. You guys are awsome.

As for the content:
    Ender’s age: It says in the EW article that they are aiming at someone around 12. I guess that means that they are indeed not going to specify it any further in the movie.
    The international fleet’s presence: I actually got a bit of that feeling in the book, but that was maybe because there were these passages of Graff and Anderson talking about Ender that gave me the impression that, you know, Big Brother is watching.
    The sequels: Oh dear, I hope they don’t choose to go with either book series. The Ender series is just a complete different animal after Ender’s Game, and fans of this movie (unless they are book nerds) will probably hate any movie that comes out of that. As for the shadow series: I dunno, I can’t imagine that they will get rid of Asa Butterfield and make a movie with the rest of them. So I guess I’m with Crystal here: they will try something else, maybe even have a different ending (where Ender goes back to Earth, or where they are all going to the colonies immediately). Maybe they will include bits and pieces of the books.

4. Reuben says:

Lots of fun, great job! Suggestions for future discussion topics: How much Ender’s Shadow / Bean do you want to see, scene you most look forward to, and maybe your impressions of Asa when you two got a chance to meet him.

Keep having fun! 🙂

5. Uriah says:

Exciting to have a Podcast for this, especially with the movie next year!
    Can’t wait to hear more! Now I gotta catch up on the blog material for Ender, I’ve been slacking.

6. I finally got around to listening! 😀 Loved it.

I’m one of those people who get incredibly upset at movies vs books 😉 Luckily, I’ve had plenty of time to get used to the major differences. Also, I’ve fallen in love with all of the characters on twitter so even if it’s completely different, I know I will love it!

I had totally forgotten that Graff gains weight! Such a small detail. Socks at battle school was much more surprising, but even that is forgivable.

Seriously though… how is Asa going to play a 6 year old!? 😉

Can’t wait to hear the rest of your podcasts!

ps) you both have great voices.

• Kelly says:

Hey Hannah! Really glad you enjoyed it. In all honesty, I was super nervous about starting a podcast with Crystal; this is the first one I’ve ever recorded and I’d never before listened to one in its entirety. But now I’m already looking forward to the next episode! Fun things, they are coming.

The thing about Graff’s weight — it blew my mind when people kept bringing it up as I’d completely forgotten about it as well. And hey, you know how I feel about Battle School socks. 🙂

x

7. Larry "Lencho" says:

Just found the podcast and thoroughly enjoyed it! Especially the fact that you say hostess may come back and it DID! Great job calling that one!

8. gamionJon says:

I just found the podcast and think it’s fantastic. As far as the clothes they are wearing in the picture — remember in the novel, in Ender’s first couple armies, they describe what everyone is wearing while they are all just lounging around. They are either in uniform or they are naked (wasn’t it Rose the Nose who said that everybody had to stay dressed around Petra?). They obviously can’t do that in a movie with children. So I think this is silver screen equivalent of that.