EnderCast Episode #5 – The End of the World

EnderCast Episode #5 – The End of the World

Crystal

March 2nd, 2013

12 Comments

All right, Launchies, we're back just a week later with another episode. We decided to call Episode 5 The End of the World since the Ender's Game fandom has been in flames, burning down to the ground, production on the movie canceled, our sites deleted…

I'm just kidding.

The topic for this episode focuses entirely on the current Orson Scott Card controversy that began anew with the DC Comics Superman anthology and quickly leaked over into the Ender's Game movie still release.

As you guys know, in the book Ender plays The Giant's Drink in his spare time and eventually gets to a point called The End of the World. We felt this made it a nicely fitting title for a topic that is metaphorically speaking, a door blocking Ender's way.

I’ll play with you later, Ender thought. At last he came to a door, with these words in glowing emeralds:

THE END OF THE WORLD

He did not hesitate. He opened the door and stepped through.

I apologize for my audio once again. I figured out the microphone issues I had the last time, which turned out to be really ridiculously stupid, but this time have a cold. So while it may sometimes sound like I'm getting so emotional that I'm moved to tears, sorry to disappoint, but I was merely losing my voice!

We hope you guys enjoy the episode despite the serious nature of the topic, even though Kelly and I still managed to find laughs in it. Those of you interested in reading the editorial we mention on EnderWiggin.net can read it here.

12 Comments

1. Pingback: Episode #5 of EnderCast Now Available

2. As usual, this was excellent! 🙂 I absolutely love all of the points you both make.

This topic could be argued all day though. I get how hurtful his beliefs are, so I really can’t tell people what they should think. I just really wish they would see the movie as Gavin’s work. I guess it’s one of those things that everyone kind of has to agree to disagree on.

To be honest though, the book has SO many long time fans from years back that I really don’t think this will hurt the movie.

ahh, Harrison Ford! Probably biggest childhood hero (besides Neil Armstrong). Indiana Jones was my everything when I was younger haha

Comic-Con – I’m also only going for Ender’s Game! I’m sure I’ll find all sorts of cool stuff when I get there though.

haha you need an auto-reply email answering FAQs every time someone emails you all. Those age questions must get really old!

—-
    It’s funny. I write comments as I listen so I don’t forget, but you both cover almost everything that I write a few seconds later. Often word-for-word! So I go back and delete… lol 🙂

• Crystal says:

Haha, an auto-reply. What a great idea. “Thank you for your email. Yes, I realize Asa Butterfield is 15 years old.”

Thanks for being a regular listener Hannah, we really appreciate it!

3. Ender’s Game is going to be at NYC Comic Con?

• Kelly says:

We were talking about San Diego Comic Con in the podcast — no idea if they have any plans to attend in New York. 🙂

4. Boothby171 says:

Orson Scott card is on the board of the “National Organization for Marriage” (NOM), so he actively supports opposition to same-sex marriage. He has gone as far as calling for the downfall of the United States government if they support same-sex marriage. He’s not just someone hiding behind a keyboard (like the rest of us) saying how he doesn’t like the homosexual lifestyle. He is actively opposing it.

NOM not only opposes and fights against same-sex marriage, but they also oppose same-sex civil unions, and homosexuals adopting chldren. Card has been on their board since 2009.

And there is an unanswered question whether OSC will see a profit if the film does well. He is listed as one of the producers, and the assumption, then, is that he will.

Listed as a producer of Ender’s Game”: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0136298/

Welcomed to NOM: http://www.nationformarriage.org/site/apps/nlnet/content2.aspx?c=omL2KeN0LzH&b=5075187&ct=6938473

One of his pieces about same-sex marriage: http://greensboro.rhinotimes.com/hc.e.211703.lasso

Amother piece about same-sex marriage: http://www.nauvoo.com/library/card-hypocrites.html

The article that everyone talks about: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2053474/posts

“How long before married people answer the dictators thus: Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn.”

Actually, when you read it closely, it’s not Card himself demanding the destruction of government. He is saying that heterosexual married couples may one day get so angry at government that they will demand its dissolution. Of course, he does come across as being that angry, and he is also a controlling member of an organization that is actively opposing the current government’s stance on the issue. So, in essense, he is ANGRIER than that theoretical “angry heterosexual married couple” (because your average angry heterosexual married couple is NOT a member–let alone a board member–of NOM).

• Crystal says:

Well, regarding him being a producer, I don’t know how accurate that is. He could just be an associate producer, which is a largely honorary title. Or perhaps he contributed some money to the movie’s budget. Since he hasn’t read Gavin’s script and has said some things that were pretty contrary to what we saw on set, I don’t know that he did what you’d traditionally expect a producer to do, which is stick around for the entire process and make sure the movie gets made.

It’s also possible that as the author, he’s supposed to be an Executive Producer. IMDB is like Wikipedia. Anyone with a pro membership can edit it, so I wouldn’t count on that as fact.

• Boothby171 says:

Exactly, that’s why it remains an unanswered question!

The thing is, the few times I met him (and the one time I actually PLAYED him–as a character–at the Endercon) he ALWAYS comes across as a very nice guy. And I’m not saying that to say, “but he isn’t…”, because I think that he is. I think he has a sincere, heartfelt belief that what he’s doing is right. I happen to have a sincere, heartfelt belief that what he is doing is wrong. He probably feels the same way about me (not that I think he pays me all that much attention!)

5. Crystal says:

Haha ok, I was confused for a bit. Trashed the first and approved the second!

6. Uncle Bart says:

Hey everyone, I found a quote by Card himself clarifying his position on homosexuality. This man is not a homophobe, and Ender’s Game definitely does not deserve to be battleground for this issue.

“Because I took a public position in 2008 opposing any attempt by government to redefine marriage, especially by anti-democratic and unconstitutional means, I have been targeted as a “homophobe” by the Inquisition of Political Correctness. If such a charge were really true, they would have had no trouble finding evidence of it in my life and work. But because the opposite is true — I think no ill of and wish no harm to homosexuals, individually or as a group — they have to manufacture evidence by simply lying about what my fiction contains.

The truth is that back in the 1970s and 1980s, when it was definitely not fashionable to write sympathetic gay characters in fiction aimed at the mainstream audience, I created several sympathetic homosexual characters. I did not exploit them for titillation; instead I showed them threading their lives through a world that was far from friendly to them. At the time, I was criticized by some for being “pro-gay,” while I also received appreciative comments from homosexual readers. Yet both responses were beside the point. I was not writing about homosexuality, I was writing about human beings.

My goal then and today remains the same: To create believable characters and help readers understand them as people. Ordinarily I would have included gay characters in their normal proportions among the characters in my stories. However, since I have become a target of vilification by the hate groups of the Left, I am increasingly reluctant to have any gay characters in my fiction, because I know that no matter how I depict them, I will be accused of homophobia. The result is that my work is distorted by not having gay characters where I would normally have had them — for which I will also, no doubt, be accused of homophobia.

• Crystal says:

Thank you very much for your comment because frankly, I had never seen that before and while I knew he’d written gay characters and seemed to have a love for all people in his books, it still confused me that he’d take such a strong and vocal stance against gay marriage as he does. I guess the issue was very blurred for me. Still, this does clear confusion up for me. That being said, I think people probably more have to do with his association with NOM.

7. Pingback: Why Supporting 'Ender's Game' Isn't Completely Awful